Sunday, October 25, 2020

Hungarian goulash with extra paprika

I grew up just across the border from Hungary, and in general, in Slovenia, Hungarian goulash tends to be a popular not-so-fancy dish. Way back in college, I was expecting friends for a visit, and I told them proudly that I was going to make them goulash. The reaction was polite but but bursting with enthusiasm. Little did they know that I got my hands of a package of venison, and that I was making a special goulash with mushrooms and pieces of bread, no paprika. I still remember the popped eyes when I revealed my humble dish.

Little did I know that with a bit more knowledge and experience one can transform the run-of-the-mill Hungarian goulash into something truly outstanding. I recently made a particularly successful version, failed to take a picture, but it is still worthwhile to record some notes. The picture above shows the chicken drumstick version of goulash. Here are key pieces of insight:

  • Use the right kind of meat. Stewing meat works well in the US (get grass-fed if you can), leg of lambs works surprisingly well (but do trim away all that fat), or any tough cut such as beef chuck. I prefer smaller chunks of meat, an inch sized or so.
  • Use LOTs of sweet paprika, add smoked paprika, crushed fennel seeds, and some chili flakes to round up the flavor.
  • Paprika needs to be gently fried in oil, that transforms the flavor from raw to smooth and deep.
  • You need some acidity, and tomato paste does very well in this department.
  • A pressure cooker works great, but do not overcook: 20 minutes with natural release seems to be hitting the spot for me.
Ingredients:
  • cooking oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped to medium
  • 3-5 garlic cloves, minced
  • sweet paprika - 3-6 TBS
  • smoked paprika - 2-4 TBS
  • crushed fennel seeds - 1/2 TBS
  • meat - I tend to use one or two 1lb packages of stewing beef we get shipped from Richards Grassfed Beef, or the same amount of leg of lamb
  • tomato paste - a small 6oz (170g) can
  • water or dashi
  • salt, peper, and/or miso to taste
  • 1 tsp potato starch (cornstarch is OK) mixed with 1-2 TBS water
Method:

Note: I prefer sauteing in a pan, and using Instant pot just for pressure cooking, I feel I get more control that way. There is no need to share my preferences.
  1. In a large pan, e.g. a wok, saute onions with some cooking oil until they soften. Adding a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper speeds up the process and adds a layer of flavor.
  2. When the onion is soft, add the spices. Add a bit more oil of the mixture dries out completely. Fry the spices for a minute on a medium heat.
  3. Add garlic, saute for 30 seconds.
  4. Add the meat that you have already seasoned with salt and pepper. Sautee the meat for a few minutes and stir it around to get it well coated with the spices.
  5. Add water or dashi to cover the meat, and the tomato paste and deglaze the pan, mix well to break up the tomato paste.
  6. Transfer everything into your pressure cooker.
  7. In my 6qt instant pot, I cook goulash for 20 minutes, with natural release.
  8. When the pressure has dropped, open the pressure cooker, and add the potato/corn starch mixture. The liquid should be hot enough for the starch to cook. If not, use the saute on medium heat function to thicken the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment