Saturday, April 16, 2022

Yeasted ricotta tarragon pancakes

 It seems I love pancakes, both savory and sweet, and I keep making up different combination. This one was inspired from a call with my mom who told me she made the potica with a tarragon filling. I remembered we had a good amount of dried tarragon in our pantry, waiting to be used. I also just acquired a new package of active yeast, so I decided to put the yeast to work.


Ingredients:

  • 1 tsp yeast, 1 TBS flour (I used eincorn), a pinch of sugar, and 1/4 cup of lukewarm water
  • 1/2 -3/4 cup of rolled oats
  • 2-3 TBS buckwheat flour (or any other gluten free flour, or just regular flour)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup ricotta
  • A handful or raisins
  • A pinch of salt
  • 1 TBS honey or sugar
  • 2 tsp or so dried tarragon
  • milk as needed
Procedure for the batter:
  1. Activate the yeast by mixing the yeast, 1 TBS flour, a pinch of sugar, and 1/4 cup of lukewarm water. Let it stand for 5-10 minutes for the mixture to become frothy. I tend to use a smallish bowl for this, but you can also save on doing dishes and use the bowl that will be used for mixing the batter.
  2. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Add a bit of milk if the batter is very thick and dry. 
  3. Cover with a wrap, foil, or a lid, and let stand for at least 30 minutes to a couple of hours for the mixture to rise and become frothy.

Procedure for cooking pancakes:

  1. Preheat a griddle or a pan (carbon steel is my preference) on a medium low heat.
  2. Add a couple of tsp of oil or butter. I prefer Avocado oil or clarified butter, but really any cooking oil will do the job.
  3. Add a heaping soup spoon of batter to the pan, and spread it out so that it is about 1/2 inch thick. Keep adding more pancakes to the pan until you run out of space, but do not overcrowd.
  4. Cook for about 3-5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the pancake, and on how hot your burner is set. Lower heat is better so that the pancakes cook through.
  5. Serve with fresh fruit and maple syrup.


No comments:

Post a Comment